Toxic Ingestion / Poison

Pets can get into just about anything. Sometimes it’s adorable. Other times it’s frustrating. More importantly, they can get into substances that are harmful to them. Some common examples include antifreeze, household products, harmful plants, and toxic foods.

Toxic Ingestion

Whenever your pet consumes something dangerous, they need help. Fortunately, that help is available, but you can learn a little more about the signs of toxic ingestion and how we treat it. This knowledge could save your pet’s life. As always, if you have any concern for the well-being of your pet, you can call our team at Carolinas Veterinary Medical Hospital in Charlotte for help.

Signs of Toxic Ingestion

If you see your pet consume something you know they shouldn’t — such as chemical cleaners or pesticides — take them to the vet right away. If you don’t see any signs of what they might have consumed, there are other indicators that can identify toxic ingestion:

•           Vomiting

•           Diarrhea

•           Loss of appetite

•           Digestive issues

•           Rapid heart rate

•           Problems breathing

•           Inability to pass urine

•           Nosebleeds (in dogs)

•           Blood in stool or vomit

•           Unexplained bruising

•           Lethargy

•           Loss of consciousness

•           Poor coordination

•           Trembling

•           Seizures

Especially if you see any of these symptoms emerge suddenly, paired with odd behavior, or grouped together, you can assume toxic ingestion. It always helps to know what the pet consumed, so look around for evidence. Even if you can’t find it, if you are concerned for your pet, you can call for help right away.

Treating Poisons

When your veterinarian treats poisons and toxic ingestion, there are a number of viable techniques. They might induce vomiting to purge the toxins. When that doesn’t work, your animal doctor can consider a gastric lavage or colonic enema to flush out harmful substances.

They can also administer charcoal to lessen the toxicity of many poisons. Ultimately, the treatment depends on the nature of the toxic substance and your pet’s condition. If you cannot get a hold of your regular veterinarian, you can call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. They can advise and help you find another veterinary clinic near you, if needed.

Emergency Care with Carolinas Veterinary Medical Hospital

If you believe your pet is suffering from toxic ingestion, please call us right away! We are happy to help. Whatever your pet might need, we’re the vet clinic near you. We proudly serve Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas (including but not limited to) Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Lake Wylie, Clover, and Gastonia.

Location and Hours

10330 Feldfarm Ln Charlotte, NC 28210

Carolinas Veterinary Medical Hospital

Monday  

7:30 am - 6:00 pm

Tuesday  

7:30 am - 6:00 pm

Wednesday  

7:30 am - 6:00 pm

Thursday  

7:30 am - 6:00 pm

Friday  

7:30 am - 5:00 pm

Saturday  

ONLY OPEN FIRST SATURDAY OF THE MONTH

7:30 am - 12:00 pm

Sunday  

Closed